Monday, January 25, 2010

The Quick Fix!

So if you have read my past couple of blogs, you will undoubtedly have the sense that I need to make some changes in my life. I have been a little wary about sharing those thoughts because then it is concievable that someone could actually hold me accountable for making some of the changes I spoke about. But I am afraid of my own nature in this instance, and what it would tell me to do regarding making "quick fix" solutions to my problems to get by. It was funny because, I was telling Sarah a story yesterday, (I was telling her about my childhood perpensity for sleeping on the floor, regardless of how much it drove my mother crazy, and all the things she tried to make me sleep in my bed. Jack is currently doing this to us!) about something I did as a quick fix that ended really poorly. One of the ways my mother tried to get us to sleep ( My brother and I) IN our beds was buying us a new special comforter. I loved that thing and this actually worked for quite a while. One day however, I accidetally ripped my comforter and I was devistated and did not want to tell my mom that I had ripped my blanket. Certainly, since both of my parents can sew, it would have been a much better solution to tell tham and let them fix it for me...but I of course opted for something else. This was certainly not the first time I had chosen a quick fix solution, but it was the first time the results stood out in my mind as being negative. I decided ( as any intellegent 10 year old would) that the best way to fix a hole in something was obviously a stapler! So I went to my dads office, grabbed his stapler and headed up to my room to begin the repair. I was thourough and used about 20-25 staples to close a 3 inch hole in my blanket. I was truly proud of my accomplishment, and that I had avoided any consequences along the way. I was a champion of innovation...I was my generations RedGreen, and it had taken like 45 seconds to fix! Fast forward couple of weeks...middle of the night...I wake up in the middle of the night screaming and writhing in pain. I was calling out for my mom. She came in and asked me "what on earth is wrong" My foot hurts, I don't know what is wrong with it...it hurts really bad!! So she inspected it..."what the heck is this, you have a staple under your toenail...how did you do this...why is there staples in your blanket...what is wrong with you...did you staple your blanket...answer me..." I told her what I had done and she did not lecture me about how stupid I was, or what a bad descision it was to try and fix it myself...she simply removed the staple, got me a new blanket and we all went back to sleep. Her silence was golden, and I was accutley aware that I had just learned the first of many lessons about why you should not use a quick fix to solve your problems...my only hope is that I have learned this lesson, and that I take my time to fix the things in my life that needs fixing...no STAPLES!

1 comment:

  1. My son My son--Oh the memories.
    I had so many flash backs reading this and the amount of times I HIT your butt trying to make you get back into your bed. And the little tents I bought for you and then the threat of selling your beds. Oh my.
    Children are blessing from God for sure.
    Quick fixes-----son-----you are bigger than that now so you have us all watching. :) :)

    ReplyDelete